Tuesday 12 April 2016

Lead-coloured or Clouded?

I had this moth last night, looks like Lead-coloured Drab, wing pattern and wing shape but no feathered antenna? But if its a female would it have feathered antenna? Ive only seen L-c Drab a few times before, even though Howe Park Wood 25metres away is full of Aspen and they were feathered.
Also had 2 new micros for my garden this week, Agonopterix alstromeriana on Friday night and Acleris literana last night.

No Emperors emerged for me yet, a moth I've never seen so looking forward to it.

Darren Seaman, Milton Keynes.





3 comments:

  1. Not sure what your moth is from that photo I'm afraid, Darren. It could perhaps be a female Lead-coloured Drab (you should be able to tell from the abdomen whether it is male or female) but I think it would need closer inspection.

    Acleris literana is a smart moth to get in your garden - one I haven't had here yet. None of my Emperors have emerged yet either but it should happen any day now, always assuming they haven't decided en masse to wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I think it's a female, i will keep it and send it to Peter at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like female LCD to me. if female you could save it from the chop by keeping a few eggs and rearing them. they're real easy and the larvae are so different from incerta and cerasi you'll know fairly soon for sure if they are LCD :). If going for chop you could still get eggs first and chuck them onto some aspen/poplar. haven't myself seen LCD this year, and only saw a couple last year, numbers seem at low ebb locally over last few years.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.