Thursday 12 March 2015

First Trapping of the Year

I finally decided to get my actinic trap out last night for my central Oxford garden on the promise of cloudy, calm and relatively mild conditions. To be honest I wasn't holding out much hope so I was presently surprised to find three moths in the trap the next morning: a Common Quaker and two Depressaria species. The latter are rather worn but I'd appreciate some help in narrowing it down: I think that it's D. radiella (Parsnip Moth) but would like to rule out things like D. daucella or ultimella. Any help with the ID would be much appreciated.

Adam

The Common Quaker
Depressaria sp. 1
Depressaria sp.2

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam, you're certainly in the correct area but I think the first one has lost too many scales to be sure what it is. The second could well be radiella but again is a bit lacking in the scale department and we have no indication of size. Assuming they haven't been kept, I think you might have to pass on these and hope you get an example in better condition in August!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.