Tuesday 27 February 2018

Early flour-ing moth

A couple of weeks ago I found a near-empty packet of flour in the kitchen cupboard that had signs of life: caterpillars! And today I found a moth on the inside of the kitchen window. Rather pleasingly, it was a species I've never seen before: the Mediterranean Flour Moth Ephestia kuehniella*, shown below on its flour-packet habitat.

While I wouldn't necessarily want every packet of flour to come with added protein in this way, I'm quite happy to have found this particular stowaway :)

* Query for Peter and Martin A: the genus Ephestia is a tricky one: this was dark grey and with wings 13mm long, so I think it should be kuehniella, but let me know if you need confirmation.



Martin Harvey, Great Kimble, Bucks

4 comments:

  1. Dave makes me chop every Ephestia, so bring it with you please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Dave arguing with the national micro-moth guidelines?! Will hang on to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope it that it is the only one you find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the situation the larvae and the timing I'd be happy with kuehniella. If not spotted,the larvae make a nice protein supplement in porridge & muesli etc. I've experienced the former.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.