Sunday 17 January 2021

Go back to bed

I haven't run a trap since mid-December, The reasons are partly weather-related, but also because of a lot of tree work in the garden: I put everything away to give space for this, but then the work was postponed twice at the last moment: the final tasks should be finished tomorrow.

On the other hand, there have been quite a few moths indoors. There have been several Mompha subbistrigella, some more of the now-resident Nemapogon granella, and a single Agonopterix heracliana.  A splendid Herald appeared in the kitchen yesterday evening.

Herald, Newton Longville 16 January 2021

This set me wondering why it had come out of hibernation early. The heating has been on in the kitchen and connected utility room since the end of October, so it seems unlikely that the moth has only just been woken by the warmth after hibernating in the house since the autumn.  In the winter months we don't keep the outside door open any longer than it takes to go in or out, so I don't think it flew in recently.  It's possible that it had been disturbed by the tree work and had somehow come in on my clothing, but I think it's more likely that the moth came into the kitchen inside a box that I brought in from the garage two days ago.

I kept the moth in the fridge last night, took it out briefly for photography today, and will put it into the garage tonight. I will try to put it somewhere where the resident mice won't find it.

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville, Bucks

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim,

    Indeed, the garage is the most likely source for the Herald. I've found a few in my garage and garden shed over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.