Sunday 24 March 2024

Red or White

 


Sorry to be my usual hopeless self with these early moths, but I put this down on my own blog as Clouded Drab and two commentors have suggested, I am sure rightly, that it is actually Red Chestnut  - with one of them adding that it might also be White-marked.  I'd be very grateful for advice.  I'm still having problems with comments here over Google sign-ins but will update this in due course with my thanks.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

Update: Thanks so much for your expertise, Dave and Martin. Two moths for the price of one, and both more interesting than a Clouded Drab. But will I ever learn?

       

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin,
    Definitely not Clouded Drab. It is an interesting one (do both images show the same moth?) and I would have said White-marked based on the lower picture alone, but the intensity of the markings on the upper picture, especially on the wing leading edge close to the thorax, make it look more like Red Chestnut. One for Martin T to have a look at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top one Red Chestnut bottom one White-marked.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.