Sunday 22 January 2017

First moth of 2017

Well, I haven't been trapping and the windows and porch lights have failed to attract any moth species so far this year, but I was somewhat surprised to find that my first moth of 2017 was an adult Cydia pomonella. It was resting on the inside of the kitchen wall. I have been cutting back an old apple tree in the garden over the weekend, but is this the most likely source of this unseasonal visitor?

I've now added an image:

Cydia pomonella found in the kitchen on 22/01/2017
Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, the larvae feed up inside apples so I wonder if you have a supply of this year's fruit in your kitchen from which the moth might have emerged, the indoor warmth speeding up its development? Seems more likely to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is what I was thinking, but there haven't been any apples in the kitchen for ages apart from a single bramley left over from Christmas. I've already checked that for signs of exit and it is intact. The only other non citrus fruit recently have been a few pears and those left seem intact too, though I'm not sure they use those anyway. I can't obviously explain it's appearance, though it must be along the lines you suggest.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.