Saturday 4 November 2017

Couple of mysteries

The mothing year is clearly drawing to a close here in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, with catches (when I've bothered putting the trap out, which has been comparatively rarely in recent weeks) diminishing to the point where last night's was a complete blank. I've had a couple of migrants - a Silver Y on 24th October, and a Vestal (first of the year) on the 26th; but relatively little else of note, and the garden year list will be in the 360s; not bad, but certainly not record-breaking. A couple of uncertainties from recent weeks: first this, from 15th October, which may simply be a very pale and tired individual of a familiar species, but if so, I can't make out which one:

Unknown, 15/10/17
This latter, I suspect, is a Yellow-line Quaker, and would be the first of the year here, although I'm very much open to correction:

Possible Yellow-line Quaker, 28/11/17
As ever, I'd be grateful for suggestions and corrections: especially on the first individual, for which I've been cudgelling my brains and getting nowhere for some time.

Steve Goddard

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, top one is a Light Emerald. The second one might be a Brick, though a bit worn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Light Emerald for the top one and most probably Brick for the lower one although I'm not sure there's really enough in the way of features there to confirm it from that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both: that seems plausible! I'll have a tussle with my conscience as to whether I want to count the second as a Brick (which would be a year first for the garden).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.