Friday 22 March 2019

Dotted Chestnut

Finally a night that was relatively mild, still and with enough cloud to reduce the moonlight resulted in a better catch. 15 species including Early Thorn, Acleris literana, Eudonia angustea - all new for the year. The highlight for me was this Dotted Chestnut.


At present our lawn is covered with ash seeds that at dawn look a bit like moths especially Dotted Chestnuts. It was a pleasant surprise to get the real thing.


I know that Dotted Chestnut are spreading but I don't know what their present status is in this area particularly Oxfordshire. Are others catching them and how often?

Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.


1 comment:

  1. I've been away in Devon for the past few nights and got few moths. Streamer and Water Carpet were new for the year but there was nothing else that wouldn't have appeared at home. I haven't seen Dotted Chestnut anywhere yet in 2019 but I usually get it at Westcott in the spring rather than the autumn and it has been an annual here since 2006 although only in very low numbers. Definitely a smart moth!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.