Friday 13 March 2020

Caterpillar Field Guide is out

I received my copy of the new caterpillar field guide yesterday and had the opportunity to put it to the test straight away with a well-marked noctuid larva found wandering across the lawn towards the actinic light last night.  At just over 2.5cm in length it might or maybe might not be final instar.  Without the book I would have gone for Square-spot Rustic/Six-striped Rustic (which can't really be separated in the field), but with it I couldn't really come to a safe conclusion at all!  I imagine it probably is one of the pair I originally thought it might be but this just goes to show that ID'ing caterpillars is often not as easy as it looks, even with this splendid new reference source available.  If anyone has any other ideas on this particular specimen, please let me know!

Noctuid larva, Westcott 12th March

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks     

1 comment:

  1. It's a nice clear photo, why don't you mail it off to Reg Fry? If you need his e-mail address, let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.