Saturday 12 August 2017

Rammamere Heath

I seem to be spending most of my time in Devon at the moment but a 24 hour visit back home to Westcott meant that I could squeeze in a trip last night to one of the sites I've been trapping at regularly this year, Rammamere Heath on the Bucks/Beds border.  Thankfully the weather was obligingly good and both of my August target species there, White-line Dart and Archer's Dart, did put in an appearance.

White-line Dart, Rammamere Heath 11th August

Archer's Dart, Rammamere Heath 11th August

This seems to be the only area in Bucks where these two moths are resident.  Numbers weren't as good as I'd expected (eight White-line and only the one Archer's) but at least this confirms their continued presence.  Neither species has been recorded anywhere in the county since I previously trapped regularly at Rammamere back in 2011. 

Altogether more than 100 species came to light which was quite good for the time of year.  Others worthy of a mention included Ypsolopha nemorella, Agriphila inquinatella, Birch Mocha, Chevron, Peacock (a double-digit count), Pine Hawk-moth, True Lover's Knot, Antler Moth, Six-striped Rustic (the first I've seen this year), White-point, Beautiful Yellow Underwing, Small Rufous and a migrant Scarce Bordered Straw.

Antler Moth, Rammamere Heath 11th August

Scarce Bordered Straw, Rammamere Heath 11th August

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment