Friday 25 November 2016

Westcott, Bucks

I continue to run the twin-30wt actinic light here nightly at least until midnight and, apart from the weekend of the 12th/13th when I was away, at least one moth has appeared every time for the last two or three weeks so there is still good reason to continue trapping!  For example, the last few nights have produced Winter Moth (18th), Sprawler & Red-line Quaker (19th), Winter Moth (20th), Winter Moth, Feathered Thorn & Scarce Umber (21st), two Feathered Thorns (22nd), two December Moths (23rd) and Red-line Quaker (24th).  I'm still waiting for Mottled Umber here but did get a smart specimen in some private woodland in south-west Bucks last night while out trapping for Plumed Prominent.

Scarce Umber & Feathered Thorn, 21st November

Red-line Quaker, 24th November

Mottled Umber, 24th November

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

2 comments:

  1. I've had nothing here from the last 4 or 5 trapping nights. I still continue when the weather is ok but generally I don't get anything for a few months. I'm using a 40w actinic heath trap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actinics seem to do rather better than MVs at this time of year so you are still in with a chance of something, Mark. The last two nights here have actually been quite 'good', with Winter Moth (3), Feathered Thorn (2) & Scarce Umber (3) on the 26th followed by December Moth (1), Winter Moth (4), Feathered Thorn (1) & Sprawler (1) on the 27th, but unsurprisingly I've had no takers tonight and have just switched off the light. I suspect it won't be worth running it for the next two nights but Thursday looks reasonable. I'm still hoping for Northern Winter Moth and/or Mottled Umber before the year's end!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.