Sunday 18 November 2018

Sombre/Green


Apologies for a rather academic post, but Ben Sale of Herts Moths Blog whose views I have found really helpful for many years, made an interesting comment on the moth above which I pictured here a couple of weeks ago after finding it dead in the trap. Marc and Dave suggested Brindled Green which strikes me as right (though I am always extremely nervous about my own inept attempts at ID).

Commenting on my own blog, Ben said: I think (I'm pretty sure, but if you still have the specimen or better photos?) that your boring grey moth is in fact the very rare Sombre Brocade.
It's very similar to a plain Brindled Green, but I think I can make out the markings from your photo. This prompted me to go a-Googling as I had never heard of the Sombre Brocade, and indeed it is not mentioned at all in the first edition of Townsend, Waring and Lewington because it only made landfall in the Channel Islands in 2006 and in Dorset two years later. But it appears to be spreading and so I felt it was worth posting closer-up pics of my moth (now gone, I am afraid), just to see what the many experts here think.

I have borrowed the 'standard' pics from a post in September from the Portland Bird Observatory which I think everyone will find interesting in any event.  As I said, I realise that the condition of the moth and the quality of my photos make this a rather academic exercise, but I'd be grateful for views. I still incline to Brindled Green.   Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon




5 comments:

  1. could it be determined by dissection or sent to someone for confirmation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still Brindled Green for me, Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dave based on what we can see of the wing markings, especially the shape of the post-median line. But good to be reminded of how similar these moths are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks v much everyone - Mark, I'm afraid the moth is no more, unless it turns up on my shed floor. I guess it will be worth looking at Brindled Greens extra carefully next year if the Sombre Brocade is spreading, as it seems to be. But I agree about this one. All warmest M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two lessons to be learnt here I would suggest. 1. Keep the thing if you're not sure. 2. use the up-to-date version(s) of the books. Unless there is something wrong with my screen settings Martin's moth is (sorry, was) greenish, whereas Sombre Brocade is warm brown.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.