Sunday 4 November 2018

Westcott, Bucks

As expected, the warmer air last night brought an upturn in the number of garden moths and I was quite pleased to get more than 50 individuals of 17 species to the actinic light:  Blastobasis lacticolella (2), Eudonia angustea (1), Emmelina monodactyla (1), December Moth (2), Red-green Carpet (3), November Moth sp (4), Feathered Thorn (9), Turnip Moth (2), Large Yellow Underwing (1), Lesser Yellow Underwing (2), Sprawler (17), Merveille du Jour (1), Satellite (1), Dark Chestnut (1), Brick (2), Red-line Quaker (1) & Beaded Chestnut (2). 

December Moth, Westcott 3rd November

The Decembers were my first of the year, for once appearing at around their normal time.  The two Turnips may or may not have been immigrants but the wind direction for the next few nights certainly favours arrivals from across the Channel.  The numbers of Sprawler continue to amaze and the species could well be heading for a record year here (50 recorded so far, with 67 in 2013 to beat).

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks 

3 comments:

  1. That's an impressive number of moths Dave. My MV light attracted only 7 individuals of 5 species. However, one of them was a Brick - my first of the year! I haven't recorded a single Sprawler in my garden as yet this year - another species that the Westcott garden is hogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your Brick, Steve. I can certainly spare you some Sprawlers as a whopping count of 28 came to light last night!

      Delete
  2. Unlike Bricks (I have still not seen one this year) I am getting Sprawlers here in fairly large numbers (7 on Friday, 11 Saturday and 15 Sunday). Last night's catch also included my first Grey Shoulder-knot of the year and a Dark Arches.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.