Monday 18 February 2019

Tinea sp

This tineid appeared in the house today. I get quite a few T.pellionella, mainly in the summer months, but this seemed slightly different in that it was obviously quite big c10mm in length. Also, when potted, it was much less active than T.pellionella normally is here (maybe because it's colder?). I took a record shot, but managed to drop the specimen behind the radiator, so am waiting for it to reappear to pot up for Peter.

Could it be T. pallescentella based on size, or can T. pellionella get this big? The wing also looks more mottled than I am used to seeing on pellionella.


Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, not a moth I've seen but certainly on size pallescentella would seem to be a good fit. There's only one previous record for Bucks and that was 20 years ago so I hope your specimen re-appears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly I also got something I think might be pallescentella. I have it ready for Peter.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.