Monday 3 February 2020

Early Grey

January has been very poor in my Didcot garden despite (or because of??) some very warm nights. usually Epiphyas postvittana does its best to hold the spirits up while awaiting spring species but even that seems to have been thin on the ground this winter. it was a bit of surprise therefore to finally get a moth on the last night of January, well early hours of February really and for it to be an Early Grey. I have seen a record elsewhere even earlier than that this year, can't remember where, but I think this must be the earliest ever I have personally recorded it. The following night I then almost fell over in shock when I got another moth - two nights in a row after weeks of blanks - this time Common Quaker. Back to blanks for the time being. Marc Botham, Didcot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.