Tuesday 15 December 2020

Finemere Wood, Bucks

Fed up with seeing Winter Moths but very little else at home, I went out to Finemere Wood last night for a quick December "moth fix".  Not helped by a single short, sharp but heavy shower mid-way through the usual three hour session, there actually weren't too many moths flying, just over 100 individuals of 11 species altogether and not a single Scarce Umber or December Moth amongst them (both should be going over around here now anyway, if they haven't already done so).  However, amongst those that I did see were a couple which definitely lifted the spirits.  Two weeks ago (see here) I mentioned the uncommon tortrix Exapate congelatella.  Well, like London Buses, you wait 15 years and then two come along at once.  Neither one was in tip-top condition but beggars can't be choosers!

Exapate congelatella, Finemere Wood 14th December

So far as I'm aware these will be the fourth and fifth individuals for VC24 following one in my garden in 2005 and examples from the Burnham Beeches RIS trap in 2006 and 2013.  

Of the other species seen, Winter Moth (72) and Mottled Umber (15) achieved the highest numbers and the Winter Moth count would undoubtedly have been higher still if I could have been bothered to check all the nearby oak trunks.  The other moths comprised Caloptilia stigmatella (1), Acleris ferrugana/notana (1), Emmelina monodactyla (1), Chestnut (5), Dark Chestnut (1), Oak Nycteoline (1) and, as I suspected might be the case, two of next year's species out already:  Pale Brindled Beauty (2) & Spring Usher (2).

Oak Nycteoline, Finemere Wood 14th December

Pale Brindled Beauty, Finemere Wood 14th December

Dave Wilton Westcott, Bucks     

4 comments:

  1. Hello Dave,
    Do you mind a technical question. I was wondering what light you are using at this time of year in the wood. And do you start at dusk, or wait 'til later in the evening?
    Nic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nic,
    I still use MV, purely out of convenience to me. Actinic works equally well, if not slightly better, at this time of year and that's what I run in the garden. Others have tried LEDs and I think they work quite well at this time of year too. I find that having a sheet underneath (or hung adjacent to) the trap is essential in the winter though because fewer moths actually seem to enter the trap. I start trapping as soon as it is dark enough in case there's a drop in temperature. Generally speaking, the warmer it is the more moths will be active.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pick your trap site carefully too. At this time of year the warmer nights are generally associated with stronger winds. That's less of a problem in woodland but all the same try and find somewhere that's well sheltered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
      Just setting off for my local wood.
      Nothing ventured ......

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.