Tuesday 21 December 2021

Micro confusion!

 Hi there,

Here are 5 micros from mid-September near Chesham. The photos were put on one side at the time, but I would like help, please, with some and confirmation of others.

Taking the five images in order, I have no idea about No 1. No 2 I think is an Acrobasis sp. - but unsure which one. No 3 I have as Pandemis corylana, No 4 as Carcina quercana and No 5 as Acleris forsskaleana.

Can anyone please put me straight? Many thanks for all the help I've had from bloggers this year and Happy Christmas!  David







2 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    These are nice clear pictures and they can all be identified safely. The last three are all as you suggest, Pandemis corylana, Carcina quercana & Acleris forsskaleana in that order. The first one is a male Archips podana, a somewhat variable species and your example is quite a dark one (the females are larger and mostly a lighter brown). This is a common moth in gardens with two broods each year so is worth getting used to. The other one is perhaps the easiest of the common Acrobasis species to identify because of its obvious red head - it is Acrobasis advenella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I got some right!!! Thanks, Dave, for all your patient help this year. Best wishes
    David

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.