Thursday 30 December 2021

Those Damn Chestnuts - and a micro!

Hi there, Firstly - Happy New Year to all those who have helped me improve my meagre knowledge in 2021! Here is a Chestnut (a nicely marked one!) and - I think - a Dark Chestnut. I'm looking at wing shape, the dark colour and the 'sheen', particularly visible on the left forewing. I'm also seeing a row of white dots on the costa, ending near the wing tip. These are visible in the Waring and Townsend illustrations for Dark Chestnut, but not for Chestnut. Are they significant - even diagnostic? On the other hand, am I completely wrong and it's just a very dark Chestnut!
The micro, I think, is Acleris schalleriana - but as always, I would appreciate confirmation.

Very best wishes
David





 

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    All correct - Chestnut, Dark Chestnut and Acleris schalleriana. I'd be wary about using those whitish marks along the costa as a diagnostic feature because Chestnut can have them too (although usually much less obvious). In my experience they do tend to stand out more on Dark Chestnut so there's probably no harm in using them as a pointer, but the wing shape and "oily" appearance are the main features.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.