Friday 25 October 2024

A puzzle

This moth was caught in my garden on Wednesday night (23rd).  Is it a White-line Dart?  It's worn and very dark; I lengthened the exposure in order to make some features easier to see.  It's very late for one to be flying and I'm also not convinced by the stigmata.  The lack of arrowheads on the subterminal line might indicate Garden Dart, but could be due to wear and doesn't help with the lateness.



Or have I missed something obvious?  The moth is reposing in my fridge.

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville, Bucks


1 comment:

  1. Hello Tim,
    Because of its condition this one really needs closer examination! I agree that White-line Dart does look quite possible from your images even though it would be very late indeed for a moth that flies mainly in July and August. However, you are actually not all that far from the known population on Rammamere Heath and we have had some easterly winds recently...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.