Tuesday 1 October 2019

Old mystery

This is old in date and the moth is old in condition.

I have been looking through a small batch of photographs from late August that I hadn't gone through at the time.  Amongst them was this moth which I couldn't identify then, and which I still can't.  Perhaps I got interrupted or distracted: I did not finish the job, and my notes are also muddled at this point.

I have two consecutive entries in the notebook with just a "?" and no name, with forewing lengths of 23mm and 16mm, and there are meant to be two photographs.  In fact, I have only one photograph to relate them to, and it's not clear which of the lengths relates to the moth in this photograph (nor why I don't have a photo of the other mystery moth: possibly it escaped before I could photograph it).

It may be too worn to identify confidently, but perhaps someone can have a go.

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville, Bucks

2 comments:

  1. It has the appearance of being a sizeable moth, Tim, so if we go with your wing length of 23mm then I'd suggest a very worn Dark Arches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave. I did wonder if I was seeing the remains of a "W" in the margin. As my title said, this must have been an old moth! I had lots of Dark Arches at the end of June and early July: the peak was 35 in one night. Because I was away, I didn't run the trap in the garden between 10th July and 23rd August. After I returned, this is the only Dark Arches I got (it was on 27th).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.