Sunday 6 October 2019

Quick Query From Longwick

Not a lot of excitement here recently with a Diamond Back on Friday night being the highlight. Last night had a slightly more diverse selection with surprisingly my first two Barred Sallow's this year.

I'm kicking myself with the one above which should be really obvious but none of the obvious ones supposedly fly in October? I initially thought it was a late Straw Underwing but the cross lines weren't right. I assume it's one of the rustics and its freshness is throwing me off!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    It looks like Straw Underwing to me - have you checked the hind-wings? The Bucks database has lots of September records but the latest of those is the 16th. There is one October record which I'm sure is correct, for the 1st (in 1995), and a couple of dodgy-looking November ones which may have been of larvae as the stage was not recorded in either case. Your example is certainly very late and it does look quite fresh, so it is certainly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having checked the hind wings it does indeed seem to be Straw Underwing. I had assumed the timing meant that wasn't the case plus most illustrations show a longer tooth like projection on the inner cross line towards the inner edge which was missing or invisible on this one. However the hind wings don't lie! Last night was poor with little variety except a single Clepsis Dumicolana resting on the closed trap!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.