Monday 7 October 2019

Vestal, Orange Sallow and a mystery moth

I found a Vestal in my garden moth trap this morning - unlike Dave's earlier example, this one was unscathed by bat or bird.

Vestal - Cookham, 06-Oct-19

Also, an Orange Sallow, which I have only recorded once before in my garden.

Orange Sallow - Cookham, 06-Oct-19
Finally, I have this mystery specimen. The pattern on the wings is extremely faded, but at the same time there is a bright orange splash on the trailing edge of each wing. The forewing length is 15mm.
Any suggestions as to what it may be would be very welcome.


Steve Trigg, Cookham

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Your mystery moth looks to me like a Snout which has been for a bath. I don't think those orange spots are anything to do with the markings it would once have carried. Congratulations on getting a Vestal in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I did think the mystery moth might be a snout, based on it's shape and size. The orange spots look like paint that has been dabbed on.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.