Sunday 10 October 2021

Figure of Eight, and Chestnut sp.

A Figure of Eight found this morning perched on the outside of one of my garden traps in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, was a lifer for me, and a welcome one in view of the species' decline over recent decades. Rather a dark specimen, but I'm confident of the ID.

Figure of Eight, 9/10/21

Figure of Eight, 9/10/21

In a case of less certain ID, the perennial question of Chestnut versus Dark Chestnut came up this morning, too: I think the individual below is Dark Chestnut, based on shape and to some extent upon colour (though it's interesting what a difference using a flash makes in the latter feature). I'd be grateful, as ever, for confirmation or correction.

Presumed Dark Chestnut, 9/10/21

Presumed Dark Chestnut, 9/10/21
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    Your Chestnut/Dark Chestnut is neither, I'm afraid. It is one of the forms of Beaded Chestnut. Nice to get Figure of Eight, even if it is a rather battered specimen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, blast! -- never mind, but thanks, Dave.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.