Monday 1 May 2023

Not entirely sure...

Like others, I've found things very slow here in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, due to the inclement weather conditions. Notwithstanding, I did get a lifer ten days ago (only just got round to posting it on here): upon first seeing it, I assumed a Frosted Green (for no better reason than that there was a greenish tinge to it), but I'm now inclined to think a Yellow Horned.



Possible Yellow Horned, 18/4/23

The individual below, from the same night, has me entirely stumped. It reminds me of several autumn species, but I can't make it match anything I'd expect at this time of year. Any suggestions - and confirmation of the lifer above - would be very welcome.

Unknown, 18/4/23

Steve Goddard


3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, Your first thoughts were right about the greenish moth - among other markings there are two circular marks in the central band (Yellow Horned usually has one large one, and the cross lines are doubled). As to your unknown, try darkening the image a bit and compare to images of Chestnut (e.g., https://upperthamesmoths.co.uk/index.php?bf=22580&fil=a)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with John, Frosted Green and Chestnut. Both Yellow Horned and Frosted Green have yellowish antennae. They generally follow each other in their flight periods and aren't often seen together - Yellow Horned should be well over by now while Frosted Green will be lingering on for the next week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect -- thank you both very much! That's a nice lifer (and, obviously, first for garden) in the form of the Frosted Green.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.