Sunday 7 September 2014

Mursley moths

Getting some nice moths again now, amongst the swarms of Large Yellow Underwings! Canary-shouldered Thorn is becoming a regular, but no August or September Thorns. A new one yesterday was Carnation Tortrix Cacoecimorpha pronubana.

There are a couple of queries:

I think this must be a particularly vivid white form of Acleris variegana. I had never noticed the tufts before.
I had a lot of trouble searching for this one in the books. I can only think it is a very faded White-banded Carpet. Any thoughts?
Mick Jones



2 comments:

  1. Hello Mick, I'm sure your Acleris will be variegana (which does have scale tufts like that, although they're not normally quite so noticeable!) but a picture from slightly higher up would have helped. The other moth is, I'm afraid, simply one of the many forms of Common Marbled Carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. I should have got the carpet from the oblique dark line in the white band - I can see that now!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.