Friday 27 June 2014

Green and Black (or are those mints?)




I have a fearsome backlog of ID requests which I'm trying to sort, on the grounds that I ought to make some sort of effort before consulting the Sages, but meanwhile I was pleased to find this Blackneck in the cartons this morning, a first for me here. Also what I think is merely a Common Emerald, below, but it was very small. I think it may still be asleep in the shed, so I will hope to measure it later on.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, Common Emerald does vary a lot in size and, of that little group, is the moth you are likely to see most frequently in the garden. You will probably also get the occasional Small Emerald (just starting to fly now) which is usually a little bit bigger than Common but is an obviously different shape and hue. Large and Blotched could perhaps appear (again, both are easily recognisable), but the others are not really to be expected in Thrupp. Little Emerald is a woodland moth and I don't think I've ever seen a green one because they fade to white very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much both, much appreciated. Hope the rain falls only in the day. all best M

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Thanks especially for the Emerald info, Dave, much appreciated. I had a Blotched here last year, my first encounter with one which pleased me no end. I last saw the Large Emerald some years ago in Leeds on my younger son's birthday, providentially cos I'd assured him that an interesting moth would turn up for the occasion. All best again, M

    ReplyDelete