Thursday 26 June 2014

Just the one

Now a distinct slow-down in Wolvercote, Oxon, with fewer than 100 individuals last night, including this fairly poorly-marked specimen: an Acleris, I think, and judging by size and season, probably not laterana; therefore perhaps comariana, or is it too poorly-marked to tell? Although we don't grow strawberries (Sterling and Parsons suggest comariana likes them), we do get bog-loving species, so it wouldn't be outlandish. An ulterior motive: it would be a garden first. Steve and Xander Goddard.

Possible Acleris comariana, 25/6/14

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you are ever going to know for sure, Steve, unless you get it "seen to", but I know that's out of the question! To me it looks more like a battered Acleris schalleriana left over from the over-wintering brood, but that's really not much more than a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough, Dave - I suspected it might be a bit too battered.

    ReplyDelete