Saturday 28 June 2014

Muslin Footmen?



Continuing with my backlog and looking back through the blog, I think from a recent post by Mark and Dave's response that these two pallid moths are Muslin Footmen. They've been coming for several weeks in good numbers; five in the eggboxes this morning, often with slight variations. I find their pattern very intriguing for its 'blurring' effect, a variation on the dazzle/OpArt livery of so many moths. Either it is actually blurred or the composition of its contrasting light and dark has that effect on the eye. Anyway, I'd be very grateful as usual for a yea or nay. As a bonus, I wonder if I am right in thinking that the micro in the top picture is Eudonia lacustrata?  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hello Martin, yes to both species. Muslin Footman is a very nice moth to get in the garden - at least it is here in Bucks, but seems to be rather more frequently seen in Oxfordshire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks as always Dave Yes the MF seems very common here. Jealous congrats on your Reddish
    Light Arches too. And on cracking one of my weekend mystery moths. All warm wishes M

    ReplyDelete