Wednesday 18 June 2014

Steady Mothing in Central Oxford

The mothing has been steady going over the last week or so here in central Oxford with catches ranging from the mid twenties to the mid forties, the latter being quite good for my modest garden. I've managed to pass the 100 mark on my garden year list now with new additions being: Large Yellow Underwing, Bright Line Brown Eye, Common White Wave, Small Dusty Wave,  Ribband Wave, Uncertain, Common Wainscot, Mottled Beauty and a presumed Pearly Underwing. On the micro front I've been trying to get my head around the numerous Scoparia/Eudonia species which all look identical to me - far harder than pugs! For the micro year list I've added: Lozotaenia forsterana, Red-barred Tortrix, Dipleurina lacustrata, Variegated Gold Tortrix, Holly Tortrix, Bramble Shoot Moth and Plum Tortrix. I've included a photo of the Pearly Underwing for confirmation purposes.



Adam Hartley

presumed Pearly Underwing

3 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, I'm not sure about the moth in the picture so will leave it for someone else to decide. I wonder if it isn't just a female Turnip?

    For the Scoparids you might like to invest in the Berkshire Moth Group's "Common Micro-moths of Berkshire" which has some very helpful pointers on how to separate the main species in this group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it helps, I also struggle at times on the Scoparids, but less so than in the past, so you can get to do most of them by sight eventually. Dissecting male Eudonia's are also tricky, with the id based on the shape of the gnathos only...and if you think it's just the wing pattern that looks the same, you are wrong!

    I can't quite make out the thoracic crest which would seal a Turnip as the photo angle is wrong for that, but I would agree with Mr Wilton, it's likely a Turnip moth rather than Pearly Underwing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much to both of you. I had originally considered Turnip but it didn't seem to have any kind of dart marking on it. I've ordered the micro book and look forward to learning how to do Scoparids!

    ReplyDelete