Sunday 13 January 2019

Angle Shades

Last night the garden actinic brought in an Angle Shades.  The caterpillars are a regular sighting at this time of year but this is the first occasion that I've had the moth itself in January.  It "completes the set" for me in that I've now seen the adult in every month of the year.

Angle Shades, Westcott 12th January

Angle Shades, Westcott 12th January

Pale Brindled Beauty (2), Spring Usher (1) and Mottled Umber (2) also came to the light last night even though it turned out quite breezy in the end.

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, you got me wondering if I had any moths in my garden list where I had seen an adult in every month. And that is only over the past 6 years since I started trapping. So, I used the stock query in my MapMate database, "record by species by month" to create a table and had a look. Lo and behold, I found one! I have seen at least 1 Epiphyas postvittana (Light Brown Apple Moth) in every month of the year. Not completely surprising, as it is by far the most common micro in my garden. No macros come anywhere near joining the "every month set" as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me there, Steve ... postvittana records here are only April through to January so I've still got two months to go! Thankfully I've not yet been inundated by the species although 2018 was its "best" year yet here (71 individuals).

    ReplyDelete