Saturday 7 September 2019

First ever Clifden Nonpareil in Longwick last night too

Like Dave I had my first Clifden Nonpareil last night - but in my case I had not had one here before and the circumstances were slightly strange! I checked the trap before bed and was dismayed to find the light had gone out for some reason. I turned off the electrics and went to find my actinic set up to replace the MV on my robinson. I coupled it up turned on the power and both lights came on. I turned around to find a Clifden N had appeared from nowhere and was sat on the MV bulb!

I was shocked at how big they are and had to go find a suitable receptacle. On emptying the , by now, actinic set up this morning a second Clifden N was inside the trap. This second had suffered a lot of forewing damage but still flew away strongly this morning.

As a teenager I always wanted to see this species and what I almost considered its butterfly equivalent the Camberwell Beauty. I have yet to see the latter here but did see a number of Mourning Cloaks as the Americans call them in California in June. I have a feeling Clifden Nonpareil is going to be a frequent visitor from now on.


2 comments:

  1. Nice one - pictures of it don't prepare you for just how big it is, do they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or how spectacular they are when flying over an mv bulb!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.