Tuesday 17 September 2019

My turn at last



Much as I have been enjoying all the Clifden Nonpareil reports, I cannot deny that an element of envy has also been involved.

Not any more.  

Because of the accounts here thus far, I've been paying special attention to the trap's surroundings recently and even rousing myself from evening torpor to have a scout round before I turn in. In the event, this rigour proved unnecessary. The beautiful moth above was tucked under the rim of my MV trap's transparent cowl this morning, just where the plastic has lost a small chunk. I don't have any intention of dying, but I could now, content.

It would be very interesting to hear theories from UTM's many experts on why this wonderful moth is doing so well. Like Andrew, I always considered it the moth equivalent of the Camberwell Beauty. I also share Dave's slight sadness that its exalted status is being lost as it becomes almost common. But on the other hand, if that wasn't happening, I'm sure that I would never have hosted one. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

4 comments:

  1. Good luck both! I'm giving the trap a break for a while but I'm going to sugar tonight for the first time in ages, because many references to the Nonpareil refer to its fondness for rum and treacle etc

    Meanwhile my attempts to answer my own question all point to warmer climate as the reason for the wonderful resurgence. I had forgotten that EB Ford's 'Moths' in the Collins New Naturalist series refers in detail to a thriving colony in Ham Street, Kent, where (from the mid-1930s to the book's publication in 1955', 'large numbers have been taken both at light and at sugar and at rest upon the trees'.

    Ford warned that such colonies - and there was another in Norfolk - 'may prove only temporary' - presciently, as the Ham Street one seems to have died out in the 1960s, apparently after some years of colder weather. So we had perhaps better enjoy our good fortune while it lasts!

    My other question about the moth concerns its glorious distinction of having the very strong band of blue - such a rare colour in UK moths. I wonder if this may be because it helps to protect the moth when at rest on a tree trunk ir similar by day, when it might be flashed in the same manner as an Eyed Hawk, which also has a very bright blue, should the dazzle/puzzle camouflage of its forewings fail to leave it undisturbed.

    I am Googling but would be very interested in others' views.

    Incidentally, I found a very good YouTube animation of the Nonpareil's succeess in Berkshire, featuring a very early sighting by Marc

    All warm wishes and hope they head everyone's way, Martin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.