Saturday 22 July 2017

Alder Moth

Having had an Alder Moth in May this year, the first seen here in 12 years of trapping, I was surprised to find what I'm sure must be an Alder Moth in the trap this morning.  Surely this is a very late appearance for a moth which is supposed to have just one generation, or could it be a freak second brood?

 
Also this rather nicely marked fly  -  apologies for the poor photo.  It is about 4.5mm FW.  I would be interested to know if anyone can tell me what it is:


And I also had a Cydalima Perspectalis, first here for this year.

Richard Ellis
Chorleywood

4 comments:

  1. Yes to Alder moth
    The fly is a Tephretid / picture-winged fly and I think it is Tephretis Formosa a common species associated with Sonchus / Sow-thistles.
    I wonder if at the end of the year we'll be asking who didn't get a Cydalamia perspectalis. This year it has turned up in the Burnham Beeches Rothansted trap for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't had it. My box bushes are currently untouched

    ReplyDelete
  3. Difficult to know if a July Alder Moth is a second brood or not, but I had a definite one in September last year. See:
    http://upperthamesmoths.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/alder-moth-in-september.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.