Monday 17 October 2022

Latest Nonpareil to date

Here's a nice trio of moths this morning, including my latest-ever Clifden Nonpareil. This wonderful creature is now in its fourth consecutive year of visiting the MV trap and I thought it might be interesting to check my numbers. They are:

2019 One on 19 September (my first ever)

2020 Three on 3 September followed by seven more, the last on 2 October. Annus mirabilis - the year March Botham entertained six in one evening.

2021 Three on 20 September

2022 One on 5 September and now this one, today.

Wonderful that it seems established and flourishing.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon



2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin,
    For me at least, the Clifden Nonpareils have been later arrivals everywhere this year. Since 2017 when I saw my first one locally while out moth-trapping on Stoke Common on 26th August with Martin Albertini, they've always started in August (13th August 2020 is my earliest date). This year I didn't see my first anywhere until 24th September but have now recorded five individuals from three different sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One late worn one in Denham on 25th October.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.