Saturday 21 October 2023

A couple of queries

 The first two moths were trapped on Otmoor on 8th Oct. Sorry I didn't have time to post earlier. I think they are probably small forms of the Large Wainscot?  Both had quite dark hindwings





These were in my trap in Merton this morning, along with a late dark Arches as noted elsewhere. I think the first is a Chestnut looking at wing shape. I am assuming the second is an Autumnal/November (and can't be separated from a photo) but I haven't seen one so brightly marked before.





2 comments:

  1. Hello Linda,
    I'd agree with your IDs, Large Wainscot, Chestnut and one of the Epirrita group. As you say, the last one is very nicely marked but the fore-wing shape suggests a female so it couldn't even be identified to species by dissection.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.