Tuesday 17 October 2023

Dark Arches

Continuing my run of "late" records, there was a Dark Arches in one of my traps last night. This is my second October record, the previous one being on 18/10/2020. The other >99% of my records have been in June, July and August - all the more remarkable because I usually miss six or seven weeks of that period at home each year due to absence.

The phenological chart on the Upper Thames atlas site does show a continual but barely-noticeable run of records stretching from the end of its main season at the beginning of September all the way into early December.

Dark Arches
Newton Longville, 16 October 2023

In other respects, the end of the warm spell had a large effect on the number of moths caught: between the two traps there was a grand total of eleven moths of six species.

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.