Saturday 17 February 2024

A new species

The Lichen Tortrix, Acleris literana, is described as "local" and has a reasonable number of dots on the Upper Thames Atlas, but I've somehow managed to avoid seeing it before. So I was delighted to find one sitting on the vanes of the garden light trap this morning - what a gorgeous moth! (Buckinghamshire.)

Lichen Tortrix, Acleris literana

Lichen Tortrix, Acleris literana

Six other species were alongside it, including Yellow Horned, the first one I've recorded for four years and the first one in the garden for eight years. Suspect this says more about my lack of early spring woodland moth trapping than it does about the moths.

Yellow Horned showing off its yellow horns

A nice fluffy Common Quaker



1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin, I had an Acleris literana in my garden trap last night as well. Only the second time I have seen one, the last being nine years ago in 2015.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.