Saturday 17 February 2024

Carpe noctem

I try to set the moth traps at home when I can, but this depends on the intersection of multiple conditions: I have to be at home; it has to fit with other commitments and the weather has to be right.

It was good that all of these came together last night (16th February) because I was aware that it should be a good night for mothing after the mild weather and run of south/south-westerly winds.  I was also aware of the weather warning for tonight and rather mixed forecast for the coming days and nights.  And it turned out to be a very good night.

My twin-15W actinic trap in the front garden had what I would usually rate as a good night for the middle of February: 25 moths of six species.  This included the first-ever Acleris cristana (unfortunately it posed for the photo with mis-folded wings).

Acleris cristana
Newton Longville, 16 February 2024
However, the LED light in the back garden did better, managing 130 moths of ten species, including 101 Common Quaker.

The back-garden moths included four micromoth species: Agonopterix heracliana - no pink underneath -  and Acleris ferrugana/notana, plus early examples of Agonopterix ocellana and Emmelina monodactyla.  Early macros included a Double-striped Pug and a Pine Beauty.  Unfortunately, a brief-but-heavy shower came through while I was going through the trap, with the result that the Pine Beauty below is rather bedraggled.
Pine Beauty
Newton Longville, 16 February 2024

The overall result of 155 moths of 13 species in mid-February is a record for this garden.  I have never previously caught more than five species in a night in February, nor more than three dozen individuals.  The earliest in the year that I have previously caught at least 13 species is on 22nd March (last year), and the earliest in the year that I have achieved at least 155 moths was in mid-May (in 2020).

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville, Bucks


2 comments:

  1. That compares with 10 moths of seven species in my garden on the same night. Either I need a new moth trap or a new garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking much the same - that night produced 17 species here at Westcott but only 45 moths in total which I was quite pleased with until I read Tim's report :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.