Sunday 8 September 2024

Death's Head Hawkmoth caterpillar

This beast was found by a neighbour on the lawn of his back garden in Wolvercote, Oxford: he posted it to the local WhatsApp group, and I've now put it in a tank with earth in it. I'm tempted to try to rear it to adulthood, and would be grateful for advice: is it a good idea to try to? Is the caterpillar about to try to pupate? If not, what should I try to feed it on? (my neighbour's garden doesn't have potatoes, still less Deadly Nightshade, so I'm unclear what it's been eating). And when might it be likely to emerge as an adult, if it did pupate?



Steve Goddard



2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    There's no reason why you shouldn't try to rear it. I have no experience of doing so but your CMR has so it may be worth asking his advice. I suspect, as it has been found wandering away from any potential food-plant, that it will be looking for somewhere to pupate so finding food shouldn't be an issue, but the field guide does say that they can be reared on privet in captivity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    I've reared one. As Dave says, it is very likely that it is wandering to find somewhere to pupate.
    I put mine in and old (small) fish tank filled with damp compost, it needs to be somewhere frost-free, but cool if you can. Don't let the compost dry out, but never soak it. You will also need to make sure there is something it can climb when it emerges to that its wings can unfold properly. It should emerge in the spring, I think mine came out in March, but I had it somewhere that was quite warm.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.