Monday 13 July 2015

Pining?




I fear this specimen may be past it, but given that's so big and distinctive, I live in hope. I'm guessing from the remaining colouring, vestigial patterns and shape that it must be a Pine Hawk which would be new for me. In spite of its tattered state, it was well able to fly and after a brief pursuit round the greenhouse, I've popped it in a box in case there's doubt and/or interest. Help much appreciated, as ever. Otherwise the moths continue abundant - too abundant for my failing powers of photography and ID. Blacknecks and Marbled Greens keep putting in an appearance and I've a trio of interesting-looking macros which I will try to ID before appealing for further aid.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

5 comments:

  1. Hello Martin, Pine Hawk is one of those moths which seem to get tatty very quickly indeed and in my experience finding one in pristine condition is a rare event. Your example does seem to have taken tattiness one stage further but it should still manage to fly even with scale-free wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a pristine one last year - only ever seen that one and with no pines around here it was a total surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the ones I've trapped haven't been much better than yours, Martin! The best way to see a pristine specimen is to rear them as I did a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much everyone. That's fascinating about the tattiness. They do look incredibly streamlined and designed for aerial gymnastics, don't they? I guess they get a battering as a result. But there was nothing wrong with the flying skills of this one, as I discovered when I chased it round the greenhouse. Much appreciated as ever, M

    ReplyDelete