Monday 22 August 2016

Lobesia littoralis

Moth numbers have really plummeted from an already fairly dismal low and away from the garden I have helped out with a few trapping events, sometimes on fairly promising nights, with extremely disappointing results and so have nothing to report on that front. The garden itself continues to throw up the odd surprise despite incredibly low numbers and relatively few species. The most recent of these is this tortrix I caught this morning which after much deliberation I have concluded has to be Lobesia littoralis - though please anyone correct me if you think differently as this is a species I am not at all familiar with and this isn't the most well marked of individuals although it seems fairly fresh. The black mark near the trailing edge of the forewing about one third from the wing tip seems to a fairly distinctive feature. You can't tell from the picture but the resting position is very much like the Cochylids and it is about 14mm in length. Marc Botham, Didcot
Lobesia littoralis (?) - Didcot 21st August 2016

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your id Marc, you can also still just make out the thoracic crest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter, yes the crest is more obvious than in my terrible picture which also helped me. Never knowingly seen this species before I don't think, certainly not any time recently and certainly not in my garden.

    ReplyDelete