Monday 7 May 2018

First hawk


My first hawk moth of the year arrived last night, a Poplar and a day later than the species' debut here last year. Nice to have a Spectacle too and a Muslin showing its yellow leggings like Malvolio.  Other arrivals on Saturday night included the Chinese Character below, which was very restless, a Scorched Carpet (I think) and a pug whose ID needless to say escapes me. Help gratefully received. if my photo is not too poor. On the basis that I should at least have a guess, I would go for Common.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon




2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, I agree that your pug is likely a Common Pug, while the next one certainly is Scorched Carpet. I'm still waiting for my first Hawk-moth of the year but I'm sure it won't be long now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Dave - and for your Emperor eggs advice. All v best M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.