Monday 7 May 2018

Help with a Carpet!

A few new moths for me this week but not the number I had thought might appear due to the warmer weather. But I did have Barred Hook Tip, Great Prominent and Muslin moth (my new favourite!) I also caught what I think is a Swallow Prominent rather than Lesser Swallow Prominent. I was pretty amazed to see that she had started to lay eggs in the container I had her in. Are they easy to raise? Any tips for a complete novice?

On Friday night I caught a complete unknown. I'm guessing some sort of Carpet? Sorry the photo is not any better, it flew off before I could get a good snap of it!

Some sort of Carpet?

Barred Hook Tip

Muslin Moth

Great Prominent

Swallow Prominent?
Many thanks again
Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorna, your carpet was probably a rather old and very faded Water Carpet. Yes to Swallow Prominent and the offspring should be easy enough to rear if you feel that way inclined. They feed on aspen, willow or sallow, one of which I imagine you'll be able to find in plentiful supply locally. At least you don't have to worry about seeing them through the winter because these will go on to become a second brood of adults in July/August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Dave. I did think Water Carpet matched it's pattern well but was thrown off because of the colour. Thanks for the advice about the Swallow Prominent eggs. I shall have a go rearing them and let you know how I get on. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.