Thursday 24 May 2018

Poplar, Puss, Pug and Kitten!

The moths have been coming in thick and fast since my last post nearly two weeks ago. I was so delighted to get my first ever Hawkmoth on 18th. It was a lovely fresh Poplar Hawkmoth. I'm sure most of you see them regularly, but as a newbie I couldn't contain my excitement and had to show everyone I saw that day! Another impressive new comer was a Puss Moth on the 15th.
Poplar Hawkmoth

Puss Moth
Other new moths over the past two weeks have been : Pale Prominent, Pebble Prominent, Brimstone, Ruby Tiger, Peppered Moth, Scalloped Hazel, Flame Shoulder, Buff Tip, Scorched Wing, White Ermine, Coxcomb Prominent, Shuttle Shaped Dart, Treble Lines, Silver Y, Spruce Carpet, Cinnabar, Pale Tussock, Small Phoenix, Pebble Hook Tip and Heart and Dart.

A couple that I need help on, are what I think is a Dwarf Pug and a Sallow Kitten. Would I be correct?...or totally wrong!
Dwarf Pug?

Sallow Kitten?
 Many thanks
Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxon

5 comments:

  1. Yes to Dwarf Pug, Lorna, but I would probably have gone with Poplar for the Kitten (see what others may think - it is always far easier having the moth in hand rather than trying to do it from a photo!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I shall wait and see what other might think on Poplar or Sallow Kitten. A lovely moth whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trapping for a while now and still get excited when a hawk-moth turns up - or anything else that's new or unusual for that matter. At least I have now got to the stage of potting them up and popping them into the fridge to show the wife later than waking her up at dawn to show her. Also that is a really nice selection of moths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert, I'm totally amazed and the variety of moths the are around in my garden. Each time I open the trap it's like Christmas day!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.