Monday 4 April 2022

Grey Ermine, Yponomeuta sedella

I found a small moth flying upstairs in the house this afternoon.  My initial concern was that it might be one of "clothes" moths.  

However, on closer inspection it turned out to be the Grey Ermine, Yponomeuta sedella.  



I don't know for certain where it might have come from.  I last emptied the moth trap in our utility room 3 days ago, so my guess is that it is one that (almost) got away from the garden trap on 28 March.

The foodplant is Orpine (Sedum telephium) and related garden cultivars, of which there are several in the garden.  Although I've had them in the garden for 10 years or so, I've not recorded the moth here before. 

The flight period is given as April/May and July August.  

The distribution is given as very local.  There are only 20 or so previous records in Bucks (VC24).

Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash, VC24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.