Saturday 29 August 2015

Micro ID

Ive got a couple of micros this week that I'm not sure about, Second one looks like it should be easy to identify but can't see it. I think the third may be Grapholita janthinana but it is a bit late. Fourth possibly Bryotropha domestica, Forewing length is 5mm.





Also this Coleophora, Forewing length was 5.5mm so probably one of the ones that needs chopping, it did escape though so that won't happen.
The only new macro in the last week was Centre-barred Sallow last night (28th).
Darren Seaman, Milton Keynes


7 comments:

  1. I think:
    1 Blastobasis adustella
    2? - but I don't think janthinana
    3Enarmonia formosana
    4Might be
    5Yes, I think it probably would have needed dissection.
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy, seen loads of adustella this year, this just looked different, maybe it's worn? Did initially think formosana but ukmoths flight times says June and July so dismissed it. Just checked Field guide and that says till September so it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a better image of the coleophorid, showing the antennae better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, sorry Peter that's the only photo I have. Is there a way to tell from the antennae then? I can try to crop and show the antennae better if that will help?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this group can be done without dissection - apart from alcyonipennella and frischella. It looks like the tips of your antennae are white, which unfortunately for you means it's one of those two. I just wanted a clearer image of the tips to make sure it wasn't trifolii

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say the second one is Dichrorampha acuminatana. I'm seeing quite a few second brood specimens at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darren: A really useful flight-time guide is the Hants Moths site, if you've never come across it before. I suppose that, being on the South coast, they might be a week or so ahead of us.
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete