Sunday 4 September 2022

Happy day


The best welcome home after a week in Dieppe. Also gives me an excuse to infiltrate a butterfly, the link being the blue, so rare among moths and so carefully hidden by Holly Blues which invariably rest with their wings folded in my experience. This one sadly but usefully expired in our greenhouse. while we were away. My first-ever sighting of a Brown Hairstreak (in the Premier Inn car park at Newhaven) also made me realise why people say that the Scarlet Tiger can be mistaken for a Brown Hairstreak in flight, something I'd never understood.  I'm meanwhile doing nicely with hook-tips here too.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon 





2 comments:

  1. Nice. I think South commented that people often mistook the Vapourer for the Brown Hairstreak back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark and thanks. I first spotted the Brown Hairstreak in flight and thought it was a Comma because the orangey brown was so vivid. I just had Vapourer here and see that WTL make the same BH comparison. All v best M

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.