Monday 12 September 2022

Waddesdon Estate

Last night I completed my monthly visit to woodland on the nearby Waddesdon Estate, where I've been trapping regularly since April.  Despite reasonable conditions the results were very poor indeed (just 15 species between two MV traps in three hours) but I did get yet another female Four-spotted Footman, meaning that I've recorded the moth on each of my July, August & September sessions and it brings the total count there to 30 individuals.  I've also had females at Grangelands near Princes Risborough (18th July) and at Finemere Wood (15th August) as well as a male in the garden at Westcott on 21st July, so I'm sure the species now has a toe-hold in this area of Bucks.

Four-spotted Footman, Waddesdon 11th September

The only other moths of interest at Waddesdon last night were the easily-recognisable rhodocrella form of Agonopterix subpropinquella (which despite being supposedly common is a species I don't see all that often) as well as late examples of Small Fan-footed Wave and Pretty Chalk Carpet.  

Agonopterix subpropinquella, Waddesdon 11th September

Dave Wilton Westcott, Bucks       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.