Monday 12 September 2022

Questions from a more interesting night

1. I am not really expecting an ID for the first but wondered if anyone had any ideas what this wing might be from? It is about 38mm long!

2, Unfortunately this one died in the fridge when I was trying to get it to settle, 9mm in length. I wondered about Loxostege sticticalis but it is not clearly marked and seems to be lacking the light markings along the tornus,

3, Which Acrobasis? Possibly consociella? (10mm long)

4. Pearly Underwing? But I have been wrong with these before.

5. Delicate. A first record for the garden,







Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,
    The wing has the shape of a hawk-moth and, assuming that it isn't a relic which has been hanging around for months, at this time of year I'm sure that would have been something fairly interesting! The second moth looks to me like Pyrausta despicalis and the next I'd agree is Acrobasis consociella. For the putative Pearly Underwing I'd prefer to see a photo from on top because it isn't just the "mohican" which is important but the overall wing shape matters too. I suspect your moth might well be a large female Turnip (I've also been caught out by them in the past). Nice to get a Delicate - no doubt about that ID!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops: Pyrausta despicalis = Pyrausta despicata

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Pyrausta despicata looks a much better fit and would be a new garden record. I will post some extra photos of the possible Pearly Underwing but I do seem to get a female Turnip this time most years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd be tempted to get the potential Pyrausta despicata checked to be on the safe side, but it has appeared in the garden here (away from its normal habitat) when there have been migrants about.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.