Tuesday 15 August 2023

Possible White-line Dart?

Catches this summer in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, have been significantly down on last year, for obvious reasons, although a number of interesting species have shown up. This individual was in the trap on 12th August, and immediately struck me as looking unfamiliar.


A possible match seems to me to be White-line Dart: I'm encouraged by the mention of variability of the species in appearance and in size (this one would be on the large side: 17-18mm), and I think I see what might be described as arrowheads, as mentioned in the mothing Bible. Is that a reasonable identification, or is there something else obvious that I'm missing?

Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    I find that it is always best to assume that a moth you don't immediately recognise is going to be a form of something common, so work your way through them before starting on the rarities! I'd take a closer look at Square-spot Rustic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair point, Dave -- and one which should have occurred to me...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.